Sunday, 16 August 2026

Replacing fantail staging rails on a very hot day


We had a MOST interesting time at the mill on Thursday, replacing the handrails on the fantail staging. Richard the blacksmith built them offsite and we hauled them up (the old ones having been removed and let down) and Dave the millwright, with Keelen the cherrypicker operator, got them into place. Plenty of issues, and it was a VERY hot day, and I was still tired on Saturday! I did haul, and I did do a lot of fetching and carrying up and down the mill, but of course I'm not in the photos ...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/srLhNrp1v11cEY3Y7



I was entranced by the cherrypicker, which can be remote-controlled to move it on caterpillar tracks; it retracts its legs first. And also by the crane which came to collect it, which was remote-controlled too. 

Keelen got thoroughly involved in what was going on and went far beyond his remit. A lovely chap.

No comments:

Post a Comment